Josh and Jenn

Josh and Jenn
Est. July 21, 2007

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Birthdays

We're celebrating Lexie's very first half birthday today.  She is such a big girl.  I think it's safe to say that she's grown out of the crying stage and has become one of the happiest babies I know.   We'll go to the doctor on Friday for a six month well check.  I'm guessing she's 16 pounds 2 ounces and 26 1/2 inches long.  
Mothering is much more fun now.  My favorite part  is the teaching and training.  The focus now is on signing.  We sign ALL day long.  For five months I have been doing this, yes, even before Alexis could even see my hands!  Here are the ones we're working on:

up
mommy
daddy
book
yes
eat
more
all done
banana
bath
change
sleep

While working in the school system I came across many parents who thought their children were much more advanced then they were.  Don't we all know people like that?  It drove me crazy.  I mean, these people would swear up and down that the kid would read 30 pages out of the dictionary every night, but when it came to school...the same kiddo couldn't even read the word d-o-g!
I am making an effort to be very, very cautious about saying Aleixs is soooo smart, and sooo ahead of herself.  Basically, I'd just like to live in reality.  
The past couple of nights I've been feeding Alexis on my own.  I noticed her doing this thing with her right hand and just blew it off.  Then, last night Josh was at the table while she was eating.  He saw the same motion-the one that means "all done".  She was trying to tell me something!  That was a great moment.  I should give her more credit, for sure!


Not only is it Lexie's half B-day, but it is also Dr.  Seuss' 107th birthday!!  How fun is that!  Dr. Seuss make me think of reading.  And when I think about reading, Mem Fox comes to mind.  I am reading her book Reading Magic for the fourth time.   It's all about how reading aloud to our Children will change their lives forever.  She inspires me to be a better "read-a-louder"  Here's a quote from page 15:

"Reading aloud to children early in life rapidly develops their speaking skills.  They don't lean to talk-they can't learn to talk- unless they're spoken to, which is why psychologist and speech pathologists tell us we need to have loving, laughing, deep-and-meaningful conversations with our kids long before they turn three.  These conversations have also been linked positively to IQ development.  The more we talk to our kids, the brighter they'll be.  Read-aloud sessions are the perfect times for engaging in these sorts of conversations because the reader and the listener can chat endlessly about the story, the pictures, the words, the values, and the ideas."


We will celebrate these birthday's with a dinner from Chipotle.  And...we're using a coupon! You can get one too.  
Just watch this 1:30minute video:


Eating  Green Beans
Waking up happy from a 2hr. nap

Lighting the grill for the first time in 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment