Josh and Jenn

Josh and Jenn
Est. July 21, 2007

Monday, August 22, 2011

Alexis Kate's Story- Part Four

The first appointment was mid January to officially confirm the pregnancy.  We met with the Doctor in her office for a sort of "getting to know you" before the exam. At the end the doctor asked if we had any questions.  

I pulled out my long list.  

She kept saying the info is in this book, but I didn't care.  I wanted to hear the answers from her. 
She patiently answered all of them. This made me confident that she could be my doctor, because I ask a lot of questions.

My very favorite answer was "everything in moderation"  
Good!  That meant I could continue my caffeine habit.  

Once our question and answer/getting to know you session was over we were led down the hall to the examination room.  I stripped down and got on the table.  
This bothers some people, but I'm fine with it.  

The doctor began the ultrasound.  She looked very carefully for quite a while, working on the measurements and such, but could not find a heartbeat.

That was scary.  It was her serious concentration that worried me.  She played it off very well, but in the back of my mind I thought-this may not be good.

I was surprised at how it affected me think that our baby may not be alive. 

We were told that it could be too early to find a heartbeat.  They tried to tell me that I was only five weeks along.  I knew better- I was seven.   There's no way I caught a pregnancy I wasn't expecting at three weeks!  But no one at the office believed me.  I scheduled the next appointment and went on with life in an extreme state of exhaustion.


Two weeks later we nervously returned to the examination room.  I was examined by a more experienced doctor who was able to find Lexie's heartbeat.  What a relief it was to hear! He did his measurements and I was now 8.2 weeks pregnant.  

That's what I thought.  


To Be Continued...

2 comments: