Josh and Jenn

Josh and Jenn
Est. July 21, 2007

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Alexis Kate's Birth Story- Part One

It all began in mid 2008 when we decided it was time for me to go off the pill because of the horrible side effects.  I wanted to feel like myself again, and boy did it feel good to be off those hormones!

We began the natural family planning method which worked for over a year.  It is up to 90% effective and at the time we figured we could live with a bit of a risk.  The problem with NFP is it involves a lot of record keeping and well, it's risky to take time off.

Which is what we did one night after a fun Christmas party.
And that's how Alexis came to be.

I had signs that I was pregnant in late December.  It wasn't until January 5th, 2010 that I took the pregnancy test.  I drove out of the town that I was working in to be sure that I didn't run into anyone I knew, got the test, went to my house, and took it.

I watched as the horizontal line quickly appeared.  That was a relief, but then I watched a very very faint vertical line appear.  Strange.  In my sure state of denial I thought to myself- "I'm not pregnant!  The lines aren't the same color!"  And off I went on this regular Tuesday (much more tired than usual).

Kickboxing was from 7-8pm.
6:30pm I left work, sat in Atlanta traffic, met my friend Cheyenne at the class, and began.
7:40pm- I can hardly make it through the rest of the class AND I have to pee for the 400th time.  Weird.
8:30 pm-I'm at home eating dinner with Josh. (Gosh, I miss that schedule!)
We're talking about our day.  I describe what I had done that morning.  Then I say "I'm just going to go upstairs and take another test so you can see what you think."

Josh followed me up and took a look at the test thinking the very same thing I thought.  Those lines aren't the same color!   The only thing that kept me from throwing the test away was the nagging feeling that I had NEVER seen a vertical line even a faint one. 
So I did what I do in stressful situations- I became demanding.  I made us leave the bathroom and declared that in exactly five minutes we were going back in to look at the test with fresh eyes.  We would then decide.  

Those were some long minutes. 

Five minutes later we entered the bathroom to look at the test.  The vertical line had darkened to match the horizontal line.  I faced Josh and in all seriousness cried a lot of tears and kept screaming "I'm going to get fat!" 

Can you tell I don't like unexpected change? 

Josh was happy, but I'm not sure how I knew that, because I was way too focused on me.  

To Be Continued...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sharing. This was very amusing and gives me more insight to your inner workings, Jen. I'm anticipating with glee the next installment.

    ReplyDelete