Josh and Jenn

Josh and Jenn
Est. July 21, 2007

Monday, September 12, 2011

Lexie Signing Update

I love, love, love Sign Language!!!  We've been busy teaching Alexis American Sign Language for the past 12 months. 

According to the book we have an average 12 month old speaks 2-3 words, while a signing 12 month old knows 25 signs and speaks 16 words. Alexis is flip-flopped she speaks 23 words and signs 18. 

Here's what she knows:
fish, baby, milk, mommy, daddy, more, eat, dog, done, up, change diaper, book, bathtime, bird, cat, please, ball, duck, water, hi, bye, no, and bubble. 

Some signs are more helpful than others.  I'm hoping and praying all this signing will bypass the terrible three temper tantrums.  Trust me they are terrible (the tantrums).  I have experience on that one!

We're currently working on:
Help, Thank you , Play, Drink, Sleep, Down, Shoes, and Socks. 

This book promises by 18 months Alexis will know 79 sings and 105 spoken words with some sentence development.  That amazes me. 

The book we follow is Baby Signing 123 by Nancy Cadjan.  It teaches the real American Sign Language.



3 comments:

  1. After spending some delightful, fun, priceless time with the three of you I believe that the signing is eliminating alot of the frustration that I have seen in babies/beginning to toddle ones. The frantic water sign when she was thirsty was unexpected and absolutely articulate. Oma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to learn help so I can teach Paker. She grunts anytime she wants something....

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will know way more words and signs than that. Being able to communicate is powerful. It will eliminate the early tantrums that come from frustration. The threes tantrums come from desiring to exert their own will seperate from yours, and that, my friend, cannot be avoided by good communication skills. :o). You need to finish your story. I check back at least once a day to see if you have posted it.

    ReplyDelete